In my book, Hidden: The Quirky Tale of a Pregnant Fairy Godmother, the main character, Ciera, is afraid of dogs. It’s written to be humorous, because, come on? Who’d be afraid of those beloved creatures? But I got thinking…
Here’s 5 reasons to be afraid of dogs.
- Have you seen those teeth? There are way too many pointed ones and they have 1/3 more teeth than humans. (42 dogs vs 32 humans.)
- What else do they lick with that tongue? Interesting fact: If a human is bit by a dog, they don’t necessarily need antibiotics, but if they are bit by another human (or a cat) they do. I think I conclude that humans should be licking ourselves clean to keep our mouth bacteria healthy. (Bad assumption. Don’t try this.)
- Can you say Bed hog? Honestly, my dog (a Great Dane) is so big, sometimes I leave our queen-sized bed to sleep on the sofa. Yeah, I should probably kick her out, but she sleeps so soundly.
- Um…parasites? Internal and external. Nuff said.
- And the most fearful thing of all…they only live a fraction of your life, meaning you probably will have to watch them die. ☹
But seriously, some people really do fear dogs. The phobia is called cynophobia and it affects 1 in 20 people or 5% of the population. You can learn more about it on wikipedia here.
(Side note: In Hidden, Ciera might be afraid of dogs, but the joke was on her. I named her after a dog I cared for when I was a veterinary pharmacist.)
Comment below with your realistic or humorous reasons to be afraid of dogs.
Thanks for reading.