I mean it so much, that I’m going to be redundant: I love beta readers!
Wow. My three beta readers have completely IMPRESSED me!
I write so people find enjoyment in what I’ve written. I write to share ideas and thoughts with others. I write because it’s fun. Well, it is fun, until I find myself in an endless sea of a single task. Here is how my novel has gone so far.
- I’m so frustrated with my OUTLINE. I wish I could just figure out the climax.
- I have so much more to do on my FIRST DRAFT, when will I be finished?
- REVISING is so tedious. How did I write this piece of crap anyway?
- Who truly knows how to EDIT? Grammar? I must have slept through that class.
- But BETA READERS? I LOVE THEM! I LOVE THIS PROCESS!!!! I’M IN NO HURRY TO FINISH THIS STEP (for once). BETA READERS bring the fun back into writing! That is, if you are willing to listen and take their feedback as constructive.
So back to my three beta readers. They are amazing. Each one of them have been spending so much time helping me turn my strung together plot and half-baked characters into something with feeling and meaning.
What amazes me the most, is many beta readers do this for nothing in return. Purely out of the goodness of their heart. It really makes me all warm and fuzzy with hope for humanity.
I have beta read and it is fun! I’ve critiqued some great stories that I’d never have read otherwise. I’ve helped authors (I hope) identify plot holes and character flaws. PLUS, I’ve given encouraging feedback.
I urge you all to try beta reading. If you’re at all interested, you can find an author who is looking for help and answer their ad. Start here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/220415?group_id=50920
Happy reading and writing!