Today I started my journey to finish my novel over 4 days this week. I blogged about my plan HERE (10K per day for 4 days to equal 40,000 words.)
As I stated in the first blog post, I’m not writing an entire novel in 4 days (even though, by some definition 40K is a full novel), but I’m finishing my novel that had about 20K written, adding another 40K to equal 60K. That’s about all I do for a first draft because in all my edits, the thing becomes bigger and bigger. This one will weigh in at about 85K when I’m done.
So, how did day 1 go?
Need I say more?
(No, but I will anyway. 😊 )
I broke up my 10,000 word goal into smaller steps that I knew I could accomplish.
So, my plan and goals were the following:
- 5AM: I wake up early, so thought I could pound out about 1000 words while sipping on my cup of coffee.
- 8AM: After the kids are dropped off at school, I wanted to sit down and put 2000 words down on paper.
- 11AM: While my lunch was in the oven, I thought I’d write another 2000 words.
- 2PM: Again, 2000 words (one chapter) down on paper…or rather eInk.
- 5PM: A final chunk of 2000 words today…then just a little more to hit the goal.
- 7PM: Finish the day with a short 1000 words. This should be easy compared to the rest of the day.
And how did it go?
- 5AM – Goal of 1000 words – DONE! 1079 Words.
- 8AM – Goal of 2000 words – DONE! 2071 Words (by 9:21AM – then I took a 30 minute nap.)
- 11AM – Goal of 2000 words – DONE! 2415 Words (by 1:25PM – but I stalled and ate lunch and worked with my cover designer.)
- 2PM – Goal of 2000 words – DONE! 2149 Words (started early (1PM) because I needed to pick the kids up by 2:50PM.)
- 5PM – Goal of 2000 words – ALMOST! 1421 Words (Started early 3:30 – Kids came home. Much harder to write with distractions…then my husband came home, too.)
- 7PM – Goal of 1000 words – DONE! 1022 words. Started at 6PM and now it’s 7PM and it’s finished & I’m writing this blog post (ha! Another 500 words.)
- Total today: 10156 words. Exceeded goal! Current word count of novel: 34655 words.
And the best part? Something I didn’t expect?
Once I get writing, the story is all there in my head and the words flow. Each scene lines up like little toy soldiers, waiting for me to knock them down, one by one.
Also, with spreading the goals out like this gave me time to be domestic. Do dishes, pick the kids up, take my daughter to swimming, and go to the house my husband is rehabbing and give him some moral support.
Only 3 more days to go! I can’t wait to share with you how tomorrow goes.