Day #1 had gone fantastic. I frantically typed 10,000 words with no hiccups at all. They flowed, scene to scene, chapter to chapter.
Now, we’re ending Day #2…and I’m calling it quits at 8201 words. I just can’t write anymore. Not because I’m exhausted or sick of it, but because I hit a huge wall. Writer’s block.
I even saw it coming, but the characters wanted to do something completely different than what I had planned for them…and I wrote myself into a corner.
Luckily, I have a day “off” tomorrow where I can step back and do a little more planning before returning to the project on Thursday. (Okay, I don’t have it off — I have to work at the zoo.)
So, the detailed play-by-play:
- 5AM – Started strong, writing 1828 words by 6:30AM
- 8AM – Wrote another 1838 words by 9:30AM. I even made breakfast for my husband and I. When I was done, I squeezed in that nap, since I had been up since 3:30AM for no reason at all.
- 11AM – Wrote 2022 words, but I was starting to slow down. It took me 2&1/2 hours to get those words down.
- 2PM – Wrote 2033 words off and on between getting the kids and losing track of where the story was going. Again, it took me 2&1/2 hours to hit that word count.
- 5PM – Here’s where I flopped. I just couldn’t get the story to work out. I even skipped ahead and it still didn’t flow. I decided to go out to dinner and give it a rest. We’ll do some plotting tomorrow and play catch-up on Thursday.
- Total today: 8211 words. Current word count of novel: 42,852 words. Bright side: The end is in sight.
Lesson learned: Taking a break between major writing days to plot and ensure you’re on track may be good. I know I need one.
Only 2 more days to go! I hit the half-way point. 🙂